HENNINGVILLE (mile 49), Tete Jaune, Yellowhead
at Canadian Northern Pacific Railway, Grand Trunk Pacific line.

Historical, topographic and geographic notes (from Wikipedia)




Mile 49 buildings
1913
Henningville (Mile 49), Tete Jaune area, British Columbia, Canada

Crédits: Jowett Collection

 

Henningville supplied crews in the direction of Red Pass and Blue River, and its proximity to the Grand Trunk's warehouses eased Peter Henning's efforts to bribe their conductor for supplies. By spring of 1913, work began on a tote road from Red Pass to Henningville and from there 200 miles to Kamloops. Scows supplied crews working along the Fraser. 
At the height of the activity, 2000 men and as many horses laboured at camps along the line

 

Henningville, Mile 49
1914
Henningville (Mile 49), Tete Jaune area, British Columbia, Canada


Crédits: The Exploration Place (Prince Georg



Officials representing William Mackenzie and Donald Mann, contractors for the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) asked Palmer Brothers & Henning to build a difficult portion of their line near the headwaters of the Thompson and Fraser Rivers, from Blue River Junction to Red Pass. It was a huge undertaking over a rugged rout more than 80 miles long, but they had offered more than two million dollars, and Palmer Brothers and Henning finally decided to tackle the job.
Towards the end of 1912, Henningville was built two miles east of Tete Jaune. By spring of 1913, work began on a tote road from Red Pass to Henningville and from there, 200 miles to Kamloops. Scows supplied crews working along the Fraser. 
By summer of 1914, trains from Winnipeg were traveling the Grand Trunk. Besides carving a railroad out of the mountains, Peter Henning, the head engineer of Palmer Bros and Henning, also had to superintend Henningville and all the camps along the line. Despite his distaste for the sleazier aspects of camp life, Peter was a practical man and worked to keep the lid on the pool halls, saloons and bordellos that gave Henningville its colour.
In January 1914, Henningville had grown large enough to receive its first postmaster. After the Grand Trunk abandoned Tete Jaune that spring, its Canadian, British and American workers and their Chinese, East Indian and Russian colleagues wandered over to make Henningville even more cosmopolitan. Each worker was paid three to four dollars a day. 

Private Thomas Lutley

Regimental number 490547 
1st Battalion



Search the Canadian War Graves collection
for this soldier

BIRTH: 

Parish of Henyock County of Devon (england)

DATE OF RECORD: 

Jul 29, 1917

BURIAL REGION: 

France, Belgium, etc.

GRAVE SITE: 

3 1/2 Miles South East of Noeux-les-Mines, France

RESIDENCE: 

Henningville, British Columbia





J G Mackinnon, 1909, is resident engeneer on the C N R main line at Albreda Summit, Rocky Mountains.
His P O address i Henningville, B C.




…  and Mile 49, later to be known as Henningville, where my good friend, Caribou Joe, made his daring escape from the scrupulous hands of one, Constable Charles Bigumpound, of the B.C. Provincial Police.




Tete Jaune Post Office was opened 23 April 1912 on Lot 6014. About 3 miles southeast along CNR, Henningville Post Office was opened 1 June 1913 on Lot480. Tete Jaune Post Office was closed 15 January 1917; Henningville Post Office was renamed Tete Jaune Cache Post Office, 1 July 1917. Relocated to Lot 6008 March 1948; by 1957 post office had been relocated back to Lot 489 (date of move not cited); post office was closed 20 January 1967.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Henningville Warehouses at Mile 49, B.C.

Level of description

Item

Repository

Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives

Reference code

CA JAS jas-1802-is-jas-pa 1-13

Physical description area

Physical description

1 postcard : b&w print ; 14 x 9 cm. Description Mile 49 B.C., view looking west from the town, buildings are Henningville Warehouses.






Harold A. Nelson, 90, died Jan. 9, 2005 at Battle Ground, WA. He was born Feb. 11, 1914 at Henningville, B.C., Canada.
He worked as a locomotive engineer, was a member of Old Apostolic Lutheran Church and enjoyed woodworking and fishing.




Henningsville (later to become Tete Jaune Cache)

Named for Mr. Henning, a contractor for the Canadian Northern Railway and was located at the head of the navigation on the Fraser River. It was a continuation of the warehouses and wharfs that dotted the Fraser River from Mile 52 at Tete Jaune Cache to Mile 49, as Henningville was called. Businesses in 1913 included the Austin brothers store and Tupper's pool hall. In 1917 the post office at Tete Jaune Cache closed and when the town disappeard Henningville assume the name of Tete Jaune Cache. The first teacher was Miss Dorothy Baxter and in her time the population reached 2,000 - 3,000 residents.

  1. T. Doolan1913 - 1914
    Mrs. M. Soles1915
    E. Cox 1915 - 1917
    A. J. Sather 1917

 

LUTLEY

Thomas Edward

Private 490547, 1st Battalion, Canadian Infantry. Died 29 July 1917. Aged 39. Son of Edward and Emily Lutley, of Whitehall, Hemyock, Cullompton, Devon. Born at Hemyock 27 February 1878. Resident Henningville, British Columbia, Canada. Bridgeman by trade. Unmarried. Attested and passed fit 1 May 1916 at McBride, British Columbia, Canada, aged 38 years 3 months. Height 5 feet 7 inches, girth 35 inches, fair complexion, light blue eyes, brown hair; religious denomination Church of England. Buried in BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, BRITISH EXTENSION. Pas de Calais, France. Plot III. Row D. Grave 11. National Archives of Canada Accession Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 5801 - 9

 

 

 

 
Åter till HAMBRUNGER varia!